Tuesday, April 26, 2011

BLACK EYED PEA SOUP

I do NOT like black eyed peas---BUT I LOVE this soup! You MUST use the peas that we cooked yesterday----NOT canned peas!



  • 6 bacon strips, diced

  • 1 1/2 green pepper, chopped

  • 1 1/2 onion, chopped

  • 3 garlic cloves, minced

  • 3 cans diced tomatoes ( I used 1 can of rotel & 2 others of flavored diced)

  • 1-2 cups of diced ham

  • 1 1/2 c. water

  • 2 t. salt (I did NOT use this since we put salt in the peas we cooked)

  • 1 3/4 t. cumin (I did not measure--just guessed)

  • 1 3/4 t. ground mustard

  • 1 1/2 t chili powder

  • 1 t. curry

  • fresh ground pepper

  • 1 t. sugar (optional)

In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic until tender.
Add peas,ham, tomatoes, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer

No comments:

Post a Comment